An inch of editorial is worth a page of advertising. So, well-placed publicity items provide a low cost means of telling the your story, reporting positive news and enhancing reputation. It’s like free advertising.
I recommend creating a programme of publicity/PR opportunities for 6-12 months going forward across the business overall but also focusing on specific products and initiatives. I envisage generating a publicity/PR story about once a quarter on average.
In particular, I’d want to achieve editorial coverage in the media that’s read by the people the business most wants to influence: past, present and potential customers.
Publicity and public relations would be a key component of customer acquisition and retention.
Through publicity/PR we can
- Create an environment where the business name and products become more familiar to and recognised by customers and people we want as customers
- Raise profile, reinforce reputation and enhance brand values
- Develop relationships with key journalists at target media
The publicity/PR might include, for example:
- Examples of work – local & regional as well as national & international
- Contacts won and client testimonials
- Launch of latest product/service
- Established x years
- Corporate news – e.g. new arrivals, retirements, departures, awards, management and Board changes, meet our new team
- Joint ventures/Case studies
These stories will be targeted at local, business, specialist and sector-specific publications because:
- This is what present and past customers read… and so it keeps the company name, brand and products close to and in the thinking of core audiences
- These publications are read by suppliers, stakeholders and business & industry communities
- Positive publicity builds reputation, “presence” and brand
- It’s free advertising!
The purpose of publicity/P.R is to develop mutual understanding and goodwill between your enterprise and its various audiences. It’s about building and managing reputation.
Create a rolling programme of pre-planned publicity/PR opportunities for 6-12 months going forward.