There are only 6 things that ALL customers want.
As a marketer, I speak to lots of customers to determine the future shape of my clients’ marketing and customer service.
And what customers tell me they want boils down to 6 simple things:
- Make buying EASY. No massive form-filling or pre-sale questionnaire. Leave the feedback sheets until later. But don’t make it TOO easy – customers like to feel they’re in control of the process
- Set their expectations. This means being honest. For example, don’t waffle and bullsh*t about “it’ll be with you in a couple of days” when you know damn well it‘ll take a full month to arrive. Set out clearly the T&Cs – and stick to them.
- Keep your promises. Better to under-promise and over-deliver than the other way round.
- Keep them informed at all steps in the process. Better to over-inform or tell them something they already know than leave the customer in the dark about what’s happening to the goods they’ve paid for.
- Treat each customer as an individual. Make them feel important – BECAUSE THEY ARE
- If it goes wrong, whether it’s your fault or not – put it right, apologise and demonstrate that you’ve taken action to ensure it won’t go wrong again.